we delivers enough to blog about
Best Food for Weight Loss: Low Carb, Gluten Free Chicken Parmigiana
Most of us have had a chicken parmigiana before. Picture this, huge portion of chicken which covers half the plate coated in breadcrumbs, covered in chick cheese with a huge side of thick battered potato chips and a few salad leaves. Carb city and bloat city. That meal will be sitting like a brick in your stomach for hours and when it’s finally digested, fat storage is just around the corner.
So how can you possibly transform a chicken parmigiana with chips into something that is low carb, and gluten free yet still tastes like a real chicken parmigiana? It also needs to be simple and quick to make and inexpensive. Simple. Replace the breadcrumbs with dried herbs and flaxseeds, replace the huge portion of chips with roasted parsnip and sweet potato (you don’t have to have the sweet potato if you want) and replace the heavy mozzarella cheese with Puglia Cheese.
What is Puglia Cheese? This is it below, only 1 gm of saturated fat which won’t give you that heavy feeling in your stomach after you have eaten it.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
2 small chicken breast fillets
1/2 dried Italian herbs
1/2 Sweet Potato
2 handfuls of gourmet salad leaves
1 handful of cherry tomatoes
2 tbs flaxseed meal
1 tsp of chilli flakes
2 tbs of tomato paste
Extra virgin olive oil
To make it a bit easier I have broken the method down into three parts:
– Pre-heat oven to approx 200dg
– Boil water
– Slice sweet potato and parsnip and place in saucepan in boiling water
– Boil for approx 5 minutes
– While parsnip and sweet potato are boiling, slice chicken breast across ways and then spread apart to give it a flat appearance.
– Cover a plate with dried herbs and flaxseed meal
– Crack one egg into a bowl and whisk
– Dunk chicken breasts into the egg so that breast is covered with egg
– Place the chicken breasts onto the plate and cover both sides with the herbs and flaxseeds
– Remove sweet potato and parsnip from boiling water, strain and place in a roasting tray lined with foil. Add olive oil and salt to the potato and parsnip and place in oven for 15 minutes. After 5 minutes, change oven setting to grill.
– Splash some olive oil into a large frying pan and place on a low heat
– Place chicken fillets into pan and allow to cook on low heat.
– Turn chicken fillets after about 5 minutes and cook on the opposite side. Before taking chicken out of the pan, check to make sure chicken is cooked through.
– spread tomato paste onto chicken fillets, tear up puglia cheese and add on top of tomato paste
– Place chicken fillets under grill for approx 5 minutes until cheese has melted
– Place chicken fillets on a plate, add gourmet salad leaves with sliced cherry tomatoes and avocado.
– Remove parsnip and sweet potato chips from oven and add to plate