we delivers enough to blog about
Traditional banana bread isn’t normally classed as one of the best foods for weight loss. I normally associate banana bread with high carb content, heaps of added sugar, flour, gluten, butter and packed full of bananas which are also fairly energy dense and can raise your insulin and blood sugar levels. For this reason I normally tell clients to only consume bananas before or after an intense training session to help provide quick release energy before the session and to assist with recovery and replacement of depleted muscle glycogen levels after the training session.
As a matter of interest, I checked the nutrition information panel of a slice of banana bread at my local grocery store. This particular piece of banana bread contained 89 grams of carbs per slice. Each slice was smaller than a slice of bread. You could eat this slice of banana bread in about 2 minutes. Imagine the sugar rush you’d get from this one slice of banana bread and then the fat storage that would follow.
I’ve roughly calculated that my banana bread has a lot lower carb content and would have around 10 grams per slice which would make this a better food for weight loss. Keep in mind my banana bread contains plenty of good fats that your body can use and is also high in fibre which would slow the release of energy into the blood stream. This banana bread is also gluten free meaning it is a much better option for your health and weight loss endeavours.
Serves: Approx 10 slices
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Baking time: Approx 45 minutes
4 ripe bananas
1/2 cup sunflower flour (or almond meal)
1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 tsp bi-carb soda
1/3 cup flaxseed meal
2 tsp of cinnamon (or to taste)
2 stevia tabs (or to taste)
– Preheat oven to 190 dg
– Mash bananas with a fork in a bowl
– Crack eggs into a separate bowl and whisk
– Grind up sunflower seeds into flour
– Add all dry ingredients to mashed banana
– Melt coconut oil in a pan and add to to mixture
– Add eggs to mixture and stir well
– Taste test, if not sweet enough to your liking, add stevia or cinnamon
– Line a bread tray with baking paper and pour contents into tray
– Place in oven for 45 minutes. Check with a knife after 45 minutes. If banana bread is to moist, return to oven until cooked thoroughly.